Site accessibility for glycosilating enzyme

Keith Rickert keith at eve.cchem.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 10 22:51:26 EST 1998

In <3.0.1.32.19981110111932.0068970c at ensam.inra.fr> urbach at ENSAM.INRA.FR (Serge Urbach) writes:

>Dear all,

>I'm a pHD student tying to characterize a plant channel at the biochemical
>level.
>I'm currently studiyng N-glycosylation of this protein. Only one site is
>present at the external side of the protein. My problem is that this site
>is located on a short loop betxeen two transmembrane regions. I would like
>to known if such sites residing in close proximity to the membrnae are
>accessible for glycosylating enzyme?

Try looking at Nilsson, I. & von Heijne, G., J. Biol. Chem v 268, p 5798.
I don't remember the numbers from here, but its not far past
the membrane, since the transferase (OST) is an integral membrane
protein in the ER membrane.

Keith

--
Keith Rickert                 | "You let me down, man. Now I don't believe
keith at eve.cchem.berkeley.edu  | in nothin no more. I'm going to law school!"