Fast Production of Allolactose?

gre_gory at web.de gre_gory at web.de
Thu May 12 04:30:13 EST 2005

Dear Glycoscience community !
For my PhD thesis in molecular biology I have to find a way to
efficiently generate allolactose
[beta-D-galactopyranosyl-(1-6)-D-glucopyranose] by using an enzymatic
reaction and a substrate that is inexpensive. I am not familiar with
the complex field of sugar chemistry and would therefore like to ask
your advice.
Of course, Lactose and beta-galactosidase would be an option but the
transglycosylation activity of beta-galactosidase is probably too
ineffective and slow.
1)	Does anyone know of mutations in beta-galactosidase which favor the
transglycosylation activity in relation to the hydrolysis reaction?
2)	Are there other effective enzymes that could generate Allolactose by
a transglycosylation activity?
3)	Is there an alternative way to generate Allolactose (eg by cleaving
off a residue like a sialic acid) - but then: how expensive will it
be to synthesize such a substrate?

Thank you very much for your help. I would highly appreciate your
expert intellectual input on this problem!

Gregory