[Glycosci] Agarose gel electrophoresis on glycoproteins

Hoang, Van Cam via glycosci%40net.bio.net (by V.C.Hoang from massey.ac.nz)
Thu Oct 9 22:42:02 EST 2008

Hello everybody,

I am using agarose to study the purity of mucin glycoproteins. When I did the electrophoresis, no bands were detected with Coomassie blue even the marker (6,500- 205,000 Da), neither with Periodic acid Schiff staining. Could anybody who did the agarose gel electrophoresis on mucins help me? There was a kind of agarose called Metaphor XR that showed to be effective in separating glycoproteins but the company (FMC Corp) does not sell the product anymore. Please let me know if there is any substitute?

Thanks and best regards,

Van C. Hoang
PhD student
Institute of Veterinary, Animal Biomedical Sciences
Massey University
New Zealand