UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO IMMUNE CELL STUDY

BILL MCGINNIS bmcginnis at OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU
Wed Sep 23 10:28:24 EST 1992

	ORIGINALLY POSTED IN SCI.MED - NOW REFERRED HERE - ANY HELP
	WILL BE APPRECIATED - TAHNKS ----------------------------->

FOLKS:
	In a recent newswire story it was reported that researchers at
	the University of Chicago designed a genetically engineered protein
which can keep the immune system of mice from attacking transplanted organs.
The study could lead to organ transplants in human without the receiver needing
to take a life time of anti-rejection drug injections.  As I have a son who is
a diabetic I am very interested in such research.  Unfortunately, the newswire
story did not give much in the way of details about who did the study and when
they may be ready to start in humans.

	Thus, I am curious if anyone on this network knows of the research and
who I may contact to gather more information.  Jeffery Bluestone is the name of
the research leader but I am not sure if he is on the faculty at Univ. of
Chicago or at a hospital in Chicago.  Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

	For those of you interested the date of the news item was 8/7/92 and
the protein name was "CTLA4Ig".
						Thanks - Bill McGinnis
						C.S.U., Chico
						Formerly of Chicago's Southside