Immunol. Contraception

Michael G. Kurilla mgk2r at Virginia.EDU
Fri Dec 3 11:24:08 EST 1993

txpljfg at UABCVSR.CVSR.UAB.EDU writes:
> The issue is: Are we really talking about contraception here?  Many
> vaccines tend to induce immunity that is relatively permanent.  If this
> were the case with an immunologic vaccine, then the result would
> effectively be sterilization.

Actually, most vaccines are not permanent, hence the need for
booster shots.  Data is just now being accumulated on the
timespan of effective protection of the recombinant Hep B
vaccine.  The smallpox vaccine (still used by those of use who
work with vaccinia virus) has only recently been upgraded from
3 year booster to 10 year booster.

Mike K