Advice for Immunology Paper

wetsel_r at wums.wustl.edu wetsel_r at wums.wustl.edu
Mon Jan 25 09:41:37 EST 1993

In a previous article, KJSHIV01 at ulkyvx.louisville.edu (KEVIN JAY SHIVELY/SCC) wrote:
>Hello,
>	I am an undergraduate pre-med student at the University of Louisville.
>I am currently enrolled in a graduate level immunology course.  The problem is
>we are to write a 10-30 page paper on some topic of interest in Immunology
>that goes into a fair amount of depth.  I am interested if anyone out there
>might have some ideas on a possibly good topic and maybe even a few pointers
>on finding some really good research journals.  I am not wanting any responses
>with offers of pre-fabricated papers....I always do my own work and do it well.
>However, if anyone out there can help me with some good "starter" ideas it
>would be greatly appreciated.  Since this is my last semester and I have a
>very full schedule I would rather not spend hours in the library just trying
>to come up with an idea.
>

>						Thanks,
>
>						Kevin Shively
>						KJSHIV01 at ulkyvx
-----------------
Kevin:

If it were me, I'd go for superantigens myself.  It's facinating how SA's
skirt around the specificity of the immune system and stimulate T cells
that only bear a particular V-beta element.  I'd keep the discussion
limited to bacterial SA's as viral SA's are a bit more complex.

Start with Anal. Rev. Immunology 1991 with Kappler and Marrack.  Do a
medline on either one, and on superantigens (as a subject) itself.  After
that, there will be more than enough info to get you going...

Happy searching!

+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.	     Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"   +
+  Washington Univ. School of Med.   A.K.A : The Compiler                 +
+  Dept. of Peds./Pulm. Box 8116     ICBM-Net : Just hit St. Louis        +
+  400 S. Kingshighway               &-6  <- User is Brain Dead...        +
+  St. Louis, MO  63110              FAX: 314-454-2476                    +
+  (314) 454-6076                                                         +