Citation for HIV causing AIDS

Andrew Fell andrewF at qimr.edu.au
Tue Aug 2 03:38:36 EST 1994

Andrew (andy at pooh.ucsd.edu) wrote:

: I attended a lecture by Kary Mullins dealing
: with his belief that HIV is not infectious
: agent that causes AIDS.  In his talk, he
: challenged his listeners (not immunologists
: necessarily but possibly some cell biologists
: and a lot of biotech industrial types)
: to provide him with the citation(s) that one
: would use to document an assertion in a
: manuscript that HIV causes AIDS.  He claimed
: that such a statement can't be properly
: referenced because no such definitive work has
: been done.  I can hardly believe he's correct
: but.... does such a citation exist?  Or more
: to the point, have definitive studies been
: done?  Or is the question hopelessly naive

See Mulder et al, Lancet vol. 343, p.1021.  They showed that in Uganda,
mortality  was 7.7 per 1000 in HIV negative adults and 115.9 per 1000
in seropositive adults.  More than 80% of deaths in young adults
(25-34) were associated with HIV.
It is of course impossible to do the definitive experiment, ie
inject a seronegative subject with pure HIV and wait for AIDS to
develop.  However, thousands of haemophiliacs were infected during the
early 80s, and these people have gone on to develop AIDS.  Haemophiliacs
receiving uncontaminated blood products have not.

Andy Fell
andrewF at qimr.edu.au