Self/nonself discrimination

Shahram Mori smori at nmsu.edu
Mon Aug 15 01:37:42 EST 1994

FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA wrote:

:    Yes, we are outbred, but we only breed within (and thus define) our own
: species. We are not threatened intracellularly by other members of our own
: species. Within the species framework, cytosolic proteins fluctuate in
: concentrations within limits determined by evolutionary selection. A mutant
: which exceeded those limits would mark itself as 'foreign' and self-destruct
: during embryogenesis. A foreign species (virus) which attempted to acquire an
: intracellular foothold would have to avoid exceeding the concentration limit
: on the proteins it encodes. Above this limit self-aggregation would occur and
: the intracellular s/ns discrimination system would be triggered. This would
: destroy both the virus and its host cell. For more see J.Th.Biol 167,7-12;
: J. Biol.Sys 2, in press.
:                             Sincerely,  Don Forsdyke
:                                         Discussion Leader. Bionet.immunology
The aggregation theory states that no matter what the nature of protein,
concentration alone is important. It's hard for me to accept, that
concentration rather than the affinity of the protein is responsible. If
the protein has low affinity or no affinty for the MHC, then T-cells can
not be primed to it, due to lack of cell/cell recognition. additionally one
has to
accept that if "concentration" resulted in antigen being marked as "foreign",
then it has to be agreed that it happens in T cells,  monocytes( and
other accessory cells) as well a B-cells etc... . If We accept that
T-cells are alone responsible for tolerance ( self/nonself discrimination)
then T-cells will HAVE to be capable of recognizing an overexpressed
protein. This is in my opinion unlikely.
cheers,

--
Shahram Mori					   _/\_
Program in Molecular Biology			  _\  /_