Glicerol and proteins

Wed Feb 23 18:24:25 EST 1994

> In <2kg88u$1hp at zippo.uwasa.fi> mpueyo at freeport.uwasa.fi (Maria Pueyo) writes:
> >   Hi... A question:
> >A sample of proteins has glicerol in it. Has it any influence
> >in the mobility of the proteins??
> >And:    If it does... What is the cualitive and cuantitive effects??
>I would appreciate any answer or place where i can get the answer (publication)
> Hmm. Unless it leads to denaturing, it shouldnt; I use it and
> have seen it used most often as a cryoprotectant, and many enzymes
> are quite tolerant of it, even at 30% or so glycerol it doesnt
> seem to do any real harm to enzymatic activity.
> I am assuming you mean gel mobility, or in some other situation
> where it dilutes enough that its not a large percentage when the
> movement is actually taking place. Some materials used for
> column supports are prone to large volume changes with changing
> solvent conditions, and glycerol can certainly induce such
> changes, this of course would affect retention times.
> >What is the meaning of life??
> Can't answer this one :)
> Keith
> Keith Rickert            | Mallory :"MC" B G 5 Y L+ W- C-- I++ T+++
> rickert at cco.caltech.edu  |  A- E+ H S V+++ F- Q- P++ B+
> keith at imppig.caltech.edu | Elli: MC Bdt C 0.3 X++ L-- W C+++ I+++
>                          | T++ A++ E H S V++ F Q P+ B+

How about all the material USB has been putting out regarding glycerol
tolerant gel material.  I guess glycerol does affect the mobility of
molecules in a gel.  They have clearly shown it to affect in a sequencing
gel.  But with proteins, since such a fine resolution is usually not
required, it may not be of much practical importance.
Raj Shankarappa
bsh at med.pitt.edu