nasal investigations

Ken Frauwirth frauwirt at mendel.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jan 13 19:40:43 EST 1994

In article <CJLABK.265 at>, shiv at (Shiv A. Prasad) writes:
|> Actually it's an immuno-reality.  Oral tolerance is now being studied as a
|> treatment from MS, Rheumatoid arthritis, and uveitis (and probably type I
|> diabetes as well).  The MS treatment uses myelin.  I think it's bovine
|> myelin, otherwise it would be cannibalism :-).  The results of a short term
|> study were recently published in Science, and the results were rather
|> impressive.  BTW, the Boston group is led by Howard Weiner for anyone who
|> wants more info on oral tolerance.
|> --
|> Shiv A. Prasad				shiv at
|> Dept. of Microbiology			pras0005 at
|> Univ. of Minnesota

A similar study (by Trentham et al.), using oral administration of chicken
type II collagen to tolerize rheumatoid arthritis patients, was published
in the Sept. 24, 1993 issue of Science.

Ken Frauwirth                  BBB   IIIII    OO    K  K   EEEEE   N   N
frauwirt at   B  B    I     O  O   K K    E       NN  N
Dept. of Molec. & Cell Bio.    BBB     I     O  O   KK     EEEE    N N N
Immunology Division            B  B    I     O  O   K K    E       N  NN
Univ. of Cal., Berkeley        BBB   IIIII    OO    K  K   EEEEE   N   N

"Later, at Cal, Berkeley..." "Free Huey!" "Kill the pigs!" - from T-AS