immunologists read me

Tai Te Wu tt at immuno.esam.nwu.edu
Fri Jan 14 11:42:21 EST 1994

In article <2h6dug$2t7 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> "" <unknown at dl.ac.uk> writes:
>I too have noticed that the immunologists newgroup is not terribly
>active. IMHO one of the main reasons is that a lower proportion of
>immunologists (than say, molecular biologists; I am both) have an easy
>convenient hookup to INTERNET.   This would explain whgy I have
>posted message , and not received a reply.  The methods and reagents
>group, however, is quite active, with at least a dozen messages per
>day.
>> How many immunologists subscribe to the bionet?
>> Since I have been subscribing, the only immuno-subject aired has been the
>> possible ramifications of the digital investigation of the nostrils on the immune
>> system of primates.
>> Is there anybody out there?
>> Dr. Colin R.A. Hewitt
>> University of Leicester/MRC
>> Centre for Mechanisms of Human Toxicity
>> Hodgkin Building
>> PO Box 138
>> Lancaster Rd
>> LEICESTER
>> LE1 9HN
>> U.K.
>>
>> Phone +44 (0)533 525587
>> Fax +44 (0)533 525616
>> E-Mail crah1 at le.ac.uk.

>James F. George, Ph.D.              "Back off man, I'm a scientist"
>Department of Surgery                --Bill Murray
>University of Alabama at Birmingham
>205-934-4261 voice
>txpljfg at uabcvsr.cvsr.uab.edu

Another reason is that quite a number of immunologists don't use computers
extensively enough to know about net news.  And you would be surprised
after you told them about this resource how many still don't want to use
it.  For example, the 1991 edition of the Kabat database had thousands of
requests for the printed version but only 6 requests for the electronic
distribution.  You could get either one or both, but the interest just
isn't there as far as computers go.

FYI:  We recently obtained the sequence of the anti-booger mAb from a
little-kid cDNA library.  We have the big-kid cDNA library version, but
it "just doesn't taste as good".  I'm attempting to PCR-amplify enough
SAB (snot and booger) to do some binding studies.  Should be something
to see and smell, since I've got a huge thermocycler full of SAB.

George Johnson (not T.T...)