rbc/blood volume needed-help

Dennis Vik dvik at medusa.unm.edu
Thu Jan 20 13:52:47 EST 1994

In article <1994Jan18.164648.1 at earth.doane.edu> , dkatz at earth.doane.edu
writes:
> To do some of the Immuno. labs, my prep notes
>say that I need to use such things as 10 % SRBC's.  When taking citrated
blood
>from a lamb, what does this translate as in actual blood volume.  I don't
>ask lightly, I have looked (maybe missed it) in Antibodies, and in
Hudson/Hay's
>book as well.

A 10% SRBC suspension is made by measuring the volume of packed red cells
(usually in a graduated test tube)  and adding 9 parts buffer.  I don't
know the hematocrit of a sheep, but it is probably between 30 and 50%,
which means that if you need 10 ml of a 10% suspension of SRBC, you would
only need 2-3.33 ml of Sheep blood.  Of course you always lose some cells
during the washing, so I would start with about twice as much blood as I
anticipated needing.

Hope this helps.