Hinge region

Ole Henrik Brekke oleb at bio.uio.no
Fri Jan 21 03:13:15 EST 1994

Will Mawby asked for references dealing with the hinge.

Due to the flexibility of the IgG hinge region it is difficult to
resolve the crystal structure of this part of the molecule. There are some
papers though, that may be helpful:

	Ito & Arata, "Proton nuclear magnetic resonance study on the
	dynamics of the conformation of the hinge segment of human
	G1 immunoglobulin" Biochemistry, 24:6467. 1985

	Marquart et al,"Crystallographic refinement and atomic models of the
	intact immunoglobulin molecule Kol......" J.Mol.Biol. 141,369. 1980

I've been working in the field of the functional significance of the hinge
region for a while, and since this is an extremely interresting field, I
add some more references:

	Sandlie et al, "C1q binding to chimeric monoclonal IgG antibodies..
	......whith shortened hinge region...." Eur.J.Immunol. 19,1599.1989

	Norderhaug et al, "Chimeric mouse/human IgG3 antibodies with an IgG4-
	like hinge region...." Eur.J.Immunol. 21, 2379. 1991

	Brekke et al, "Activation of complement by an IgG molecule without a
	genetic hinge" Nature 363,628. 1993

Hope this helps a bit

Ole Henrik Brekke
Div. of Molecular Cell Biology