Spondylarthropathy and relation to Gulf War?

Erik Robert Wilson erwg0233 at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 2 08:47:02 EST 1994

ap446 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Luc K. Levesque) writes:

>Could somebody tell me if it is at all possible to have picked up
>Spondylarthropathy from service in the Persian Gulf? I am HLA-B27(+)
>and curious if this may be linked to my service in the Gulf?

Some (of other peoples) theories about Ankylosing Spondylitis and other
HLA-B27 related conditions:

1)  Patients may have been infected at one time with (salmonella?)
which causes an immune response against bacterial epitopes which
cross react with HLA-B27 (in some not well defined manner) and
progressively causes inflamation and fusing of vertebrae

2)  The patient may undergo some injury (car accident, a fall on the ice,
a lot of back strain from any number of causes etc.) which reveals the
condition but didn't really cause it.  It is most frequently first seen in
males in their 20s - 30s (but not always)

Good news is that it can be reasonably controlled in the long term by
agressive use of stretching and flexibility promoting exercises which
may slow or even halt the loss of spinal motion.  NSAIDs are also
usefull for day to day life.

Good Luck,
--
|    \   o IO             | "If we do not find     | Erik Wilson              |
|-----|      o GANYMEDE   |anything pleasant, at   | University of Illinois   |