Promega Cytotox 96 assay

Adrienne Morgan Adrienne at
Wed Jul 20 13:47:14 EST 1994

In article <reddjo.14.0 at> reddjo at "Joan Redd" writes:

> We have been attempting to use the Promega Cytotox 96 colorimetric
> cytotoxicity assay for assaying the activity of rat CTL. In this assay we
> use AIM V serum-free media w/o phenol red from Gibco.  The spontaneous and
> maximal LDH release of our target cells has been within expected
> parameters.  However, the spontaneous LDH release of our effector cells has
> been extremely high, too high to calculate any meaningful % specific
> lysis.  I would appreciate advice from anyone who has had experience with
> this assay.  Which cell culture medium has worked the best?  Has anyone
> successfully used this assay with rat CTL?

AIM V serum free medium is gastly stuff.  It will not even support mitogen
driven responses by human PBMC.  If you need a serum free environment then why
not try simple RPMI 1640?  Also - very few systems beat good old 51Cr labeled
target cell release systems.

Another shitty day in paradise
Adrienne Morgan