Self/nonself discrimination

Shahram Mori smori at nmsu.edu
Sun Jul 24 20:13:35 EST 1994

: In article 94198.164503FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA,
: FORSDYKE at QUCDN.QueensU.CA  writes:

: >     Does an antigen-presenting cell take in antigens randomly? Surely, an
: > antigen has first to be labelled as "foreign" by reacting with an antibody
: > (either free or cell-bound)? The pre-existing repertoire of antibodies
: > then determines which antigens will be taken up. The antibody repertoire is
: > not random, so why should antigen-uptake be random?

I would like to comment on this. Everybody knows that in order for the
autoreactive T-cells to be removed they must first be recognized as
autoreactive. How would one know early during development that a T cell is
autoreactive? The only possible way is for it to be recognized so. This
recognition must be via cell to cell contact. Be it Macrophages,
dendritic cells or other T-cells, these cells must be able to pick up all
antigens, self and non self. So I would argue that antigen doesn't have to
be labelled "foregin" early when the T-cell repetoir is being decided.