Yeast specific antibodies in pre-immune serum?

Torben Lundsgaard kvlxthlu at
Wed Jun 15 08:34:18 EST 1994

Dear netters:
By immunogold labelling of yeast cells I use antibodies from rabbits as
the primary antibody followed by swine-anti-rabbit IgG-gold complex as
secondary antibody. When using rabbit pre-immune serum for control I
clearly  detect label in the yeast (Sacch. cer.) cell walls.

Is it possible that the rabbit used could have had some infection
provoking antibodies recognizing yeast cell wall antigens?

Or do anybody have another reasonable explanation?

Thanks in advance
Thorben Lundsgaard
Dept. of Plant Biology
The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University
Thorvaldsensvej 40
DK-1871 Frederiksberg C
Copenhagen, Denmark

e-mail kvlxthlu at