molecules (MHC Class I and MHC Class II) with different tis

Arcex arcex at
Tue Oct 4 20:39:03 EST 1994

In article <4OCT94.08384871 at>, w95_cook at

>The inducible expression of class II on other cell types is somewhat
>more confusing.  It's not clear that the expression of class II in the
>absence of costimulators accomplishes much of anything.

This statement is based on the assumption that only class I restricted T
cells (CD8+) are capable of cytolytic activity.  If cytolytic activity can
be directed against antigen presented by class II molecules, then the
induction of class II in the absence of costimulators would indeed serve a
similar purpose as inducible class I molecules, which in the context of
this discussion would be the targeting of mature CTLs.