Antibody titering for flow cytometry

Richard C. Harmon cytact at netcom.com
Thu Oct 6 11:50:17 EST 1994

John........need more info.  I take it that the antibody has been
purified?  Does your cell type express Fc receptors?  Purification often
leads to aggregates which can and do bind to low affinity receptors for
IgG.  I have never been convinced that saturation of _any_ Ag requires
more than 1 ug/10E6 cells.  So.....what is the cell type that you are
testing, and have you titered the same reagent on Ag-negative cells?  If
you can find an Ag-negative cell _with_ Fc receptors, so much the
better.  Are the cells human?  Mouse?  Is your MAb conjugated, or are
you using a labeled secondary?  If your cells are mouse and if you're
using a direct conjugate or if your primary is not rat G2b, you can
often clean up an experiment by running it in the presence of MAb 2.4G2
(anti-CD32/CD16).  Need more info!  Cheers, Rick

John Ladasky
(ladasky at leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote: : Greetings, everyone,

: 	Using a flow cytometer and an antibody at various dilutions, I've
: just analyzed the fluorescence intensity of a particular cell-antibody
: combination.  I now have a nice, asymptotic curve.

: 			    Mean
: 	ug MAb added	Fluorescence
: 	----------------------------
: 	    0.00	       8
: 	    0.63	     364
: 	    1.25	     541
: 	    2.50	     812
: 	    5.00	    1050
:
: 	Now what?  At what level is an antibody considered to be "titered"?
: Any advice or references would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

: --
: Unique ID : Ladasky, John Joseph Jr.
: Title     : BA Biochemistry, U.C. Berkeley, 1989
: Location  : Stanford University Dept. of Cell Biology, Fairchild D-105
: Keywords  : immunology, music, running, Green
--                                             cytact at netcom.com