oral tolerance to experimental allergic encephalomyelitis

sutherlandmv sutherlandmv at alpha.hendrix.edu.
Fri Oct 7 10:18:41 EST 1994

> To anyone,
> I am looking for articles dealing with the oral administration of myelin   > basic protein in adult rats or mice.  More specifically I am interested in
> articels with neonates as the subjects.  Any article suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> KRisti Evans

A recent (within the last few weeks) issue of Genetic Engineering News
gave a brief overview of the whole field of oral tolerance and the
companies gearing up to begin widespread use of this kind of therapy.
In addition to MS, early clinical trails are showing great promise for
the treatment of Type I diabetes, Rheumatoid arthritis and an
autoimmune disease of the eye whose name eludes me at the moment.  The
article said that a subpopulation of CD4+ T cells from the intestinal
epithelia secreting TGF beta, IL-10 and IL-4 had been shown to induce
this tolerance.

Mark Sutherland
Hendrix College
Conway, AR 72032