red blood cells

lw75 Lynne_A_WHITEHEAD at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Sun Oct 23 13:23:27 EST 1994

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out or give me any leads to
references pertaining to red blood cells.  I am trying to find out the
membrane differences between human rbc's and other mammalian rbc's.  I am
working with a hemolysin that is specific for human red blood cells, but no
other mammalian rbc. It's receptor is cholesterol, but I am interested to
know what else other than cholesterol is affecting it's binding specificity.
(maybe steric hinderance or blood group specificity???)

Thanks for any help!

Lynne Whitehead
U of MD - Microbiology Dept.