pharmingen cytokine frustration: DUO solution?

Ress, S, Stan, Dr SRESS at uctgsh1.uct.ac.za
Mon Oct 31 11:47:44 EST 1994

 and similarly from: yarosh at sask.usask.ca

> RE: Pharmingen IL-4 Sandwich ELISA - High Background Probs
>Date: 17 OCT 94 23:08:43 GMT

>We've been working on the sandwich ELISA for both IL-4 and IFN
>gamma using Pharmingen reagents on Immulon 2 plates. The IFN
>gamma works no problem but we've
>had to play around with conditions. The IL-4 ELISA gave us high
>backgrounds
>no matter what we tried and we're getting ready to give up. Although
>the Pharmingen IL-4 MAbs work great in an ELISPOT... if that's any
>consolation.

Is this problem specific for murine ELIZA, or does it also occur with
ab's to human cytokines? As far as I know, Pharmingen don't make
any "perfect pairs" to detect human IFN-gamma.
Genzyme are now advertising a DUOSET which is more
economical-does anyone have experience with this product re:
quality, bg, etc?  Any info would be most appreciated.

Stan.

Stanley Ress
Clinical Immunology laboratory
H47 Old Main Bldg