Non radioactive CTL assays

Ian A. York york at mbcrr.dfci.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 28 09:44:53 EST 1994

In article <1994Sep28.210916.1 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz> chem175 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz writes:
>I am interested in using a non radioacative alternative to the 51 Chromium
>release assay. Does such an assay exist? Has anyone used this type of assay for
>measuring cellular cytotoxicity?

There are many such assays (51Cr release being such a sloppy, messy assay
that everybody wants to get a better one.)  Unfortunately, none of the
alternatives is as sensitive, versatile, or straightforward.  Check out
back issue of J Immunological Methods - about every 2nd or 3rd issue has
a new method.  Some may be preferrable to 51Cr under specific
circumstances (i.e. if your target cell type and experimental conditions
fit with it.)
	One exception is using T-T hybridomas instead of CTL.  If
youdon't need to generate CTL but only are interested in the target
presentaion of a model antigen, these can have great advantages.

Ian
--
Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
Phone (617)-632-4328     Fax  (617)-632-2627