Which cells does HIV infect?

Christopher Savoie savoie at bioreg.kyushu-u.ac.jp
Sun Apr 2 22:05:37 EST 1995

Lou,

Why cooldn't CD8's be infected?  They are all derived from CD4+
thymocytes (double positives) which are known to be the MOST infected
compartment in the thymus of SCID/HU mice infected with HIV?

It seems rather silly to suggest that CD8's which are derived
from CD4's would be UNINFECTED...

But that's OK...most others assume the same at present.  Because they
think that the thymus goes on an early retirement after puberty...The
CD4 folks have so many research dollars tied up in studying CD4 cells
that they never really look at the CD8's, which control viral disease
progression.  The CD8 folks see the CD8's as the unaffected saviors
in the battle against disease progression, not as targets themselves.

CD4 and CD8 researchers tend to be mutually exclusive
groups in immunology/virology.  And they've convinced each other
that the CD8's are doing just fine until they suddenly drop dead
at the onset of AIDS.

I think not.

Christopher J. Savoie
Dept. of Genetics