New Immune Theory

B.L.T. B.L.T.
Tue Apr 11 14:50:08 EST 1995

In article <3mcrrc$mro at usenetw1.news.prodigy.com>, CVNW83A at prodigy.com (Richard Schultz) says:

What spurs the immune system, Matzinger says, is a shout of "danger" from
>cells dying in distress.

She like other researchers, notes that T-cells require a signal from
a critical white blood cell, called a dendritic
>cell, before they load their weapons and fire.  Dendritic cells inhabit
>every tissue of the body, but they mostly lie dormant.
>       To wake them up, cells nearby must call out in shock. "This
>[alert] is the initiation'" Matzinger declared at a recent   Cancer
>Research Institute seminar in New York.  "Without it, you don't get an
>immune response.  Ever."

But how does this relate to antibody production to novel bacteria which
have been heatkilled?  Do B cells have to have this "danger signal", too,
in order to differentiate and reproduce and more importantly, to produce
appropriate antibodies.  I would appreciate your response.  Particularly,
since I am currently attempoting to rank individuals with regard to
their antibody responses to novel heatkilled bacteria.

Thanks,

R. L. Thompson