heavy water

Phillip Bigelow n8010095 at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Tue Apr 11 14:11:16 EST 1995

Trumborm at dc37a.nci.nih.gov (Mark W. Trumbore) writes:

>In article <wolk-0904951444470001 at koh-mac49.usc.edu>, wolk at aludra.usc.edu
>(wendy wolk) wrote:

>> Can anyone tell me the chemical formula for heavy water and in what dosage
>> is it harmful. Also what are the symptoms of someone who has ingested too
>> much.
>>     I need this info for a sci-fi screenplay that I am writing. (I am not
>> planning an elaborate murder.) :)
>>                                        -Wendy Wolk
>>                                          USC Cinema/TV

:>The formual for heavy water is D2O (D = deuterium).  You have to consume a
:>huge amount of heavy water for it to be toxic.

>--
>Mark W. Trumbore
>National Institutes of Health
>National Cancer Institute

  What would be the symptoms?  Also, would consuming air/water/food that
contains pure O18 (heavy oxygen) also be pathologic?

--
                       <pb>
     / "In evolution, sometimes you're a fly. \