New Immune Theory

Ian A. York york at mbcrr.dfci.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 11 16:47:58 EST 1995

	I'm in the process of reading Dr. Matzinger's article in ARI - so
if my question is answered in that I apologize.  If it's "danger" rather
than "foreignness" that's recognized by the T cell system, would you
expect a cytotoxic response to innocuous antigen - e.g. the CTL responses
that are seen to the DNA vaccination protocols and which have been
reported in response to certain (killed) vaccines?  Similarly, are the
CD4 responses to ovalbumin and other soluble and harmless antigen expected?

	My first response to the proposed change of attitude is that it
does not, as such, answer more questions that the foreignness approach.
That is, it does address some of the points on which the tradtitional
approach is weak, but the converse is also true.

	But I should finish my reading first . . .

Ian
--
Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627