Which cells does HIV infect?

Shahram Mori smori at nmsu.edu
Sun Apr 9 13:18:48 EST 1995

Christopher Savoie (savoie at bioreg.kyushu-u.ac.jp) wrote:
: David Peritt <Peritt_d at a1.mscf.upenn.edu> wrote:

:
: > There is no evidence that I know of showing direct CD8 infectivity.
: > CD4+8+ thymocytes can be infected but once they become single positive
: > they are presumably resistant.

: Excuse me, but please take your premise to its logical conclusion. If
: the double positives are infected (they are), then they will never
: become fully functional single positive CD8's in the first place.

How do we know they don't? If the virus is itegrating and remaining dormant
in the host gene, why wouldn't they develop into single +ve CD4 or CD 8's?
I am not saying that they they do, but I haven't seen evidence that they
don't either.

: Actually, I have seen many studies on the _role_ of CD8's in HIV infection
: and the changing efficacy against certain HIV class I epitopes over
: time in carriers, but nothing much that lends an explainationto
: the eventual  demise of class I restricted immunity at the end
: stage of infection.  And nothing that explains how the infected
: precursers are cleared.
: >

The CD8's involvement in HIV-infection is still under controversy. I think
that the CD8's remain unactive and silent because of the disablement of
the CD4 cells. Possibly the infection of of CD4 cells affects the cytokine
production by them which in turn affects proliferation and activation of CD8
cells.
Cheers
--
Shahram Mori					   _/\_