"new" immune theory..

Ian A. York york at mbcrr.dfci.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 13 09:40:02 EST 1995

	One other very general comment on the "new paradigm" comments in
this thread.  The immune system is a cobbled-together mishmash of Things
That Work.  It is not a monolithic, one-definition-fits-all, unitary
Thing.  So what I'm trying to say here is that there is no reason to
expect the immune system to base its' responses on something that we can
define, in English, in a single word:  "foreign" or "danger" or "green".
	Rather than trying to showhorn the system into a single word (and
note, I don't say Matzinger has tried to do that, but there is a danger
of interpreting the issue that way) it makes more sense to learn what the
Things That Work are.

	Sorry if this is sounding a little too Zen.

Ian
--
Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627