Which cells does HIV infect?

Naomi Gayle Housman nhousma at EMORY.EDU
Thu Apr 13 20:21:38 EST 1995

Dear Christopher et al:

I had remembered an article that was published a while ago by Antoni
Fauci et al regarding infection of CD8+ T cells in vitro.  So I reached
back into medline and pulled the following out.  I would suggest a
careful once over and perhaps discussion could follow:

     <1>
         Authors
          Stanley SK.  Kessler SW.  Justement JS.  Schnittman SM.
          Greenhouse JJ.  Brown CC.  Musongela L.  Musey K.  Kapita
          B.  Fauci AS.
         Institution
          Laboratory of Immunoregulation, National Institute of
          Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of
          Health, Bethesda, MD 20892.
         Title
          CD34+ bone marrow cells are infected with HIV in a subset
          of seropositive individuals.
         Source
          Journal of Immunology.  149(2):689-97, 1992 Jul 15.

         <2>
         Authors
          De Maria A.  Pantaleo G.  Schnittman SM.  Greenhouse JJ.
          Baseler M.  Orenstein JM.  Fauci AS.
         Institution
          Laboratory of Immunoregulation, National Institute of
          Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of
          Health, Bethesda, MD 20892.
         Title
          Infection of CD8+ T lymphocytes with HIV. Requirement for
          interaction with infected CD4+ cells and induction of
          infectious virus from chronically infected CD8+ cells.
         Source
          Journal of Immunology.  146(7):2220-6, 1991 Apr 1.

Regards,

Chad Womack
National Centers for Infectious Diseases
Division of HIV/AIDS, Immunology Br
Atlanta, GA