Which cells does HIV infect?

Christopher J. Savoie savoie at bioreg.kyushu-u.ac.jp
Thu Apr 13 19:30:42 EST 1995

This following was misleading regarding authorship. I quoted this material from David
Perrit.  Please attribute it to the right guy/gal  ;-)

>Christopher Savoie (savoie at bioreg.kyushu-u.ac.jp) wrote:
>
>:*DAVID PERRIT* wrote:
>: > There is no evidence that I know of showing direct CD8 infectivity.
>: > CD4+8+ thymocytes can be infected but once they become single positive
>: > they are presumably resistant.
>
>unutmaz at IRIS02.BIOCINE.IT (Immunobiology Research Institute, Siena) wrote:

>(In fact HHV-6 has been proposed as a potential cofactor in AIDS). Whether this
>infection is responsible for the defects observed in the CD8+ T cells in patients
>with advanced HIV infection was not answered.
>Ref: Nature 1991, 349:533

Good point.  How about cases in which there is no coinfection with HHV?   Since HIV alone
can infect the double positive cells, I don't think it really needs a co-factor in the long run.
However, any conspirator could speed up the process (for example HTLV-1/HIV-1
coinfection).