heavy water

Leslie Gartner lgartner at umabnet.ab.umd.edu
Wed Apr 12 21:00:11 EST 1995

On 10 Apr 1995, wendy wolk wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the chemical formula for heavy water and in what dosage
> is it harmful. Also what are the symptoms of someone who has ingested too
> much.
 Wendy,

The answer to your first question is easy, the chemical formula is H2O,
the same as for plian water. The only difference is in the Hydrogen atom,
since it has a neutron in addition to the proton in its nucleus.
I don't think that there is an answer to your second question. As far as
I know there are no animal (and of course, no human) study on this
subject. As a guess, there are probably no side effects, but that is only
a less than educated guess.
Good luck.

Les
lgartner at umabnet.ab.umd.edu