HLA Databases on line?

Stella Meredith Yeager meri at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Tue Apr 18 20:20:24 EST 1995

David Koelle (viralimm at u.washington.edu) wrote:
: I am looking for an on line source for 1) the information in the article
: "Nomenclature for factors of the HLA system, 1994" by Bodmer et. al.
: Tissue Antigens 44:1-18.  As you know this comes out every 1-2 years.  2)
: A database with HLA nucleotide sequences, similar to that published by

Unless there is one that I don't know about, no such thing is available
_yet._   I know that there is an MHC database in the works.  It will be
available soon, if not already.  I think it is based in England, possibly out
of some of the labs at the ICRF in London (this work is being done by
Stephan Beck/John Trowsdale and the like, I _think_, but don't quote me on
that!).

As for obtaining sequences, I get what I can out of GenBank using the
accession numbers published in the Bodmer et al. 1994 compilation.
For the most part, much of the sequence data is there; although I have found
that a lot of it, at least for the classical loci, is cDNA.  So,
depending on for what you are using it, it may or may not be good news.

--
Meredith Yeager
Graduate Genetics Program