Child immunity HIV

John Cherwonogrodzky jcherwon at dres.dnd.ca
Fri Apr 21 15:16:27 EST 1995

Dear Colleagues:
     Bill Jaramillo has raised some good questions and concepts with regards
to the baby that "cleared" an HIV infection. Here at DRES (National Defence)
we've been developing a vaccine to brucellosis and we see a pattern. The worse
the antibody response, the better the protection (at least in mice, guinea
pigs and swine). My sense is that the body has evolved different immunities
for different diseases. It's like the air conditioner/heater toggle switch in
your car where you can push the lever from "cold" to "hot". For parasitic
diseases (e.g. Brucella) antibodies are of little effect. Therefore with very
low antigen concentration or key immuno-modulators the cell mediated defences
kick in. If the antigen concentrations are high, this may signal the body that
a septicemia/viremia is occurring and the humoral defences kick in instead.
     Is there a chance that because the baby had circulating maternal
antibodies, the humoral defence was suppressed and the cell mediated defences
surfaced, eliminating HIV?
     An argument against my own scenario is that parasitic or pseudo-parasitic
diseases (e.g. T.B.) would cause a general cell mediated defence activation
and eliminate HIV as an indirect casualty. From what I've read, the reverse
happens and T.B. and HIV act synergistically...John