Numbers of TCR gene segments

Howard T. Petrie h-petrie at
Fri Apr 21 15:56:21 EST 1995

In article <p_travers-2104951730060001 at>,
p_travers at (Paul J Travers) wrote:

> Does anyone have current estimates of the numbers of TCR gene segments
> (alpha beta gamma and delta) in either human or mouse?  Or suggestions of
> where to look or whom to ask for the answer?

Last time I looked, there were (in mouse) an estimated 70-100 V gene
regions for TCR-alpha (also used in delta) and fifty J-alpha segments.
Only one C-alpha.  Beta has two C's, two D's, two clusters of six J's
each, and about 25 V's.  Delta has one C, two J's, and two D's.  I'm less
clear on gamma, but I believe that it has three (?) C's, about the same
number of J's, and half a dozen V's.