Numbers of TCR gene segments

txpljfg at uabcvsr.seas.ucla.edu txpljfg at uabcvsr.seas.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 24 14:06:20 EST 1995

The estimate of 25V regions in the beta locus is not correct.  There are
at least 63 V-gene segments that are actually expressed (Wei et al,
Immunogenetics 40:27 (1994)).  There are 13 functional J segments (and
one pseudo J).  There may be more.  The entire TCRbeta locus has been
sequenced (accession number L36092) and there are a number of gene
segments in the germline that have not been isolated from cDNA.  All of
these figures refer to the human, but the mouse is similar.

Howard T. Petrie (h-petrie at ski.mskcc.org) wrote:
> In article <p_travers-2104951730060001 at macmhc.cryst.bbk.ac.uk>,
> p_travers at icrf.icnet.uk (Paul J Travers) wrote:

> > Does anyone have current estimates of the numbers of TCR gene segments
> > (alpha beta gamma and delta) in either human or mouse?  Or suggestions of
> > where to look or whom to ask for the answer?
> >

> Last time I looked, there were (in mouse) an estimated 70-100 V gene
> regions for TCR-alpha (also used in delta) and fifty J-alpha segments.
> Only one C-alpha.  Beta has two C's, two D's, two clusters of six J's
> each, and about 25 V's.  Delta has one C, two J's, and two D's.  I'm less
> clear on gamma, but I believe that it has three (?) C's, about the same
> number of J's, and half a dozen V's.

James F. George, Ph.D.              Transplantation Immunology Laboratory
Department of Surgery               *Please sign your organ donor card*
University of Alabama at Birmingham
205-934-4261 voice
txpljfg at uabcvsr.cvsr.uab.edu