VLA-4 expression

Derya Unutmaz unutmaz at IRIS02.BIOCINE.IT
Tue Apr 25 23:50:04 EST 1995

Inarticle <199504241143.MAA25039 at miranda.umds.ac.uk>, p.NOrman at umds.ac.UK
(Fred Titmus) wrote:

>        Concerning adhesion marker VLA4. It appears from textboks and
>reviews that I've read that the ligand for VLA4 is VCAM-1. Yet peak
>expression of VCAM on endothelium occurs a few hours after activation,
>whereas VLA is expressed some days later (hence its name!). Does either of
>these molecules have a more important ligand, or is their some other
<mechanism at work?

I think there is some confusion regarding VLA antigens. In our experience VLA-
4 is expressed by most of the resting human T cells (including cord-blood T
cells), although it is upregulated after activation. The name "Very Late
Antigen" (VLA), I suppose mainly refers to VLA-1 and VLA-2 which are, indeed,
expressed days after activation of resting T cells. All VLAs, however, belong
to the family of integrins which usually share the beta chain (beta-1).

Derya

Derya Unutmaz
Immunobiology Research Institute,
Siena, Italy.