immunologist seeks research position

Prasad S. Turaga turaga at THORIN.UTHSCSA.EDU
Wed Apr 26 18:59:37 EST 1995

Dear netters,
   I am an immunologist with five years of postdoctoral experience and am
interested in a research position in a challenging environment.  My
background is in host-pathogen interactions, vaccine development,
diagnostic assay development, immunopathology, ontogeny of B lymphocyte
development.  I am interested in the areas of lymphokine biology,
inflammation/immune response, diagnostic assay and vaccine development.
Following is my resume and a complete copy of my CV will be furnished upon
request.  Please feel free to contact me for further information at 210-567-
3963.
Sincerely,
Prasad Turaga

Prasad S. D. Turaga, Ph.D.
Department of Microbiology
U. T. Health Science Center
San Antonio, TX - 78284
(210) 567-3963  (work)
(210) 341-8987 (home)
e mail: turaga at thorin.uthscsa.edu

Personal: Permanent Resident of USA, married, willing to relocate

Education: 1989  Ph. D.  Microbiology.  Oregon State University,
  Corvallis, OR - 97331
  1982  M. Pharm.  Andhra University, Waltair, India
  1979  B. Pharm.  Kakatiya University, Warangal, India

Research/Professional Experience:
 Trained in cellular immunology, molecular immunology,
 immunochemistry and host-pathogen interactions.
Nov 1989- Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Microbiology, The University of
present  Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX - 78284

 -Determined the frequency of cells expressing transcripts for
 interleukins and immunoglobulins using in situ hybridization
 methodology.
 -Developed assays (ELISA and bioassay) to estimate
 the levels of different interleukins in T cell lines generated from
 mice infected with cestode parasite.
 -Performed studies involving fractionation of B cells depending on density
and size  (elutriation) and characterized their phenotype using FACS.
 -Functional studies were done on such cells for the expression of
 germline transcripts for different immunoglobulins.
 -Developed hamster anti-mouse monoclonal antibodies against T cells in
 pursuit  of novel markers.
 -Estimated frequencies of cells expressing germline gamma1 transcripts
from FACS sorted B cell populations  utilizing RT-PCR technique.

Apr 84-89 Graduate Research Assistant, Dept. of Microbiology, Oregon
  State University, Corvallis, OR - 97331

 -Performed physical and functional characterization of soluble
 antigen derived from a bacterial pathogen.
 -Developed sensitive diagnostic assays for the disease (ELISA and Western
Blot) using  the soluble antigen as the marker.
 -Characterized the protease activity associated with the bacterial antigen
and its role in  biological activity.
 -Developed assay system to demonstrate for the  first time in salmonids,
antigen:antibody complexes in infected  animals, both in serum and in
tissues (immunohistochemistry).
 -Developed a vaccine candidate with soluble antigen coupled to  different
adjuvants via chemical coupling methods.
 -Developed  assays(chemiluminescence) to assess the phagocytic capacity
of  cells from animals.

Professional Affiliations:

 American Association of Immunologists
 American Association for the Advancement of Science
 Sigma Xi

References will be submitted upon request