Biotinylating hemoglobin

Yoram Puius puius at telico.bioc.aecom.yu.edu
Wed Aug 30 11:22:01 EST 1995

Hi all,
	Has anyone ever tried to biotinylate hemoglobin?  I checked out the
lit. on Medline going back awhile and found zilchmo.

	If anyone has attempted it WITHOUT success, that would also be very
valuable information.  (Details as to exactly how it failed may be painful
to recount, but I'd be most appreciative to hear them!)

	I know that people were able to fluorescently label it, but the
reaction changed the oxygen affinity of hemoglobin.  This is not desirable for
my purposes, so a modification of that reagent is probably not an option.

	(I am posting to bionet.immunology because I know that many people
there use the biotin-avidin system for visualizing bound monoclonals.)

Many thanks,
	Yoram
Yoram A. Puius                            Albert Einstein College of Medicine
puius at telico.bioc.aecom.yu.edu            Department of Biochemistry
M.D.-Ph.D.    Class of 1999 [?]           Bronx, NY  10461