Re Re Cytokines and taxonomy...

Ken Frauwirth BioKen frauwirt at notmendel.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Feb 2 21:10:55 EST 1995

In article <shopkins.23.000BB21A at fs1.ho.man.ac.uk>,
Steve Hopkins <shopkins at fs1.ho.man.ac.uk> wrote:
>In article <3gaae0$feh at agate.berkeley.edu> frauwirt at notmendel.Berkeley.EDU (Ken Frauwirth (BioKen)) writes:
>>From: frauwirt at notmendel.Berkeley.EDU (Ken Frauwirth (BioKen))

            [cytokine discussion snipped]

>>However, I agree that the immune system is a true organ system, and it
                                                          ^^^^^^
>>seems to me that there is no real conceptual difference between cytokines
>>and other hormones.
>
>>BioKen
>
>Absolutely agree about the receptor point. But the immune system as an organ
>seems a bit much. Immunity is a physiological function. It seems rather like
>saying the reproductive system is an organ. The thymus may be an organ, but
>not the whole system (Which just about includes every cell in the body -
>interferon producers!?).
>
>Steve Hopkins

You misread my post - I said that the immune system is a true organ *system*,
not an organ.  It is composed of organs (lymph nodes, thymus, GALT, etc.).
It is sort of a gemisch of the circulatory (motile cells, organs connected by
vasculature) and the endocrine (chemicals secreted into the blood for
communication and to affect general physiology) systems.

BioKen
--
Ken Frauwirth (MiSTie #33025)       _           _
frauwirt at mendel.berkeley.edu       |_) *    |/ (_ |\ |