RE ^10 Cytokines and taxonomy!!!

Ralph M Bernstein ralph at ccit.arizona.edu
Fri Feb 3 11:19:50 EST 1995

ok, previous posting...

>>prev written in response to my posting:
>>

>>>This is not true at all.  While steroid hormones are membrane soluble and
>>>act on receptors that are transcription factors, the peptide hormones
>>>(growth hormone, ACTH, insulin) and amino acid derivatives (serotonin,
>>>dopamine, epinephrine) all work through membrane-bound receptors.
>>
>>what is not true at all?  there is obviously a diff between steroid and
>>peptide hormones, but what i said obviously holds true for steroid hormones.

Not necessarily, there is quite a bit of evidence that some cytokines may be
translocated to the nucleus, following binding to their receptor, so making
distinctions between hormones on this basis may not hold.

Steve Hopkins

ok steve, give me a ref for anything like this at all!  What cytokines are
translocated to the nucleus?  assuredly il 1-15 all bind a membrane bound
receptor (usually a heterodimer or heterotrimer) and in that way transduce a
signal.  ive never even seen a hint of the idea that any cytokine may appear
in the nucleus of a cell (excluding dna, or transfected molecules with a
retention sequence)

    but i'd love a reference!-email me

Anyway, the immune system does seem to fit the organ system paradigm, and i
would like to see rational discussion one way or the other....

rmb

Ralph M. Bernstein
Dept of Micro/Immuno
University of Arizona