CD4 and HIV

Stephen Hall shall at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu
Fri Feb 3 21:52:15 EST 1995

In article <3gs88r$hrd at alvin.ach.uams.edu>, rbbatchu at life.uams.edu wrote:

> In article <1995Jan28.170235.1 at wkuvx2.wku.edu>, camplte1 at wkuvx1.wku.edu
writes:
> >Can anybody out there tell me what, if any, research has been done
> >using CD4 as a cure or attempted cure for AIDS.
> >
> >Thank you.
> >
> >Please send any information by E-mail.
> >
> >Troy Camplin
>
> >camplte1 at wkuvx1.wku.edu
>
> Please refer to the following
> Morgan, R. A. et al. (1990) AIDS Res. Hum. Retrovir. 6, 183-191.
> Using a soluble form of the CD4, gene therapy cure for HIV is being
> persued in many laboratories.

That type of blocking experiment with soluble CD4 has some success in in
vitro studies, but simply does not work well in clinical trials.  The lab
isolates of HIV behave quite differently from the more complex primary
isolates.  Also, CD4 functions not only as the HIV receptor, but primarily

as a heterophilic cell adhesion molecule.  Exogenous soluble CD4 causes
numerous problems.

Some citations regarding other problems involving gene therapy with CD4:

-HIV has been shown to down regulate MHC molecules and/or alter expression
of CAMs.

Schrier et al. (1983) Nature 305: 771-775, Signas et al. (1982)
Nature 299: 175-178.

-Transfusing with CD4+ peripheral blood lymphocytes causes no positive
effect on cells such as dendritic and central nervous system cells.
Mitogenic activation required for transduction could increase HIV
infection. Other issues regarding treating AIDS with gene therapy are
discussed.  A good review.

Gilboa and Smith (1994) Trends in Genetics 10: 139-144.

--
Stephen Hall
Executive Committee