RE Cytokines and taxonomy (Nuclear issue)

Steve Hopkins shopkins at fs1.ho.man.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 16:12:38 EST 1995

>Not necessarily, there is quite a bit of evidence that some cytokines may be
>translocated to the nucleus, following binding to their receptor, so making
>distinctions between hormones on this basis may not hold.
>Steve Hopkins

>ok steve, give me a ref for anything like this at all!  What cytokines are
>translocated to the nucleus?  assuredly il 1-15 all bind a membrane bound
>receptor (usually a heterodimer or heterotrimer) and in that way transduce a
>signal.  ive never even seen a hint of the idea that any cytokine may appear
>in the nucleus of a cell (excluding dna, or transfected molecules with a
>retention sequence)
>    but i'd love a reference!
>Ralph M. Bernstein

>ok steve, give me a ref for anything like this at all!  What cytokines are
>translocated to the nucleus?  assuredly il 1-15 all bind a membrane bound
>receptor (usually a heterodimer or heterotrimer) and in that way transduce a
>signal.  ive never even seen a hint of the idea that any cytokine may appear
>in the nucleus of a cell (excluding dna, or transfected molecules with a
>retention sequence)
>
>    but i'd love a reference!-email me

Sorry it's taken so long but, in addition to the post from Rachel Teitelbaum you
might like to try these:
1.   Burwen SJ, Jones AL. The association of polypeptide hormones and growth
     factors with nuclei of target cells. TIBS 1987;12:159-62.
  2. Maier JAM, Statuto M, Ragnotti G. Endogenous interleukin 1 alpha must be
     transported to the nucleus to exert its activity in human endothelial
     cells. Mol Cell Biol 1994;14:1845-51.
  3. Wessendorf JHM, Garfinkel S, Zhan X, Brown S, Maciag T. Identification of
     a nuclear localization sequence within the structure of the human
     interleukin-1  precursor. J Biol Chem 1993;268:22100-4.
  4. Weitzmann MN, Savage N. Nuclear Internalisation and DNA Binding Activities
     of Interleukin-1, Interleukin-1 Receptor and Interleukin-1/Receptor
     Complexes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1992;187:1166-71 (Academic Press,
     Inc, 1250 Sixth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101).
  5. Grenfell S, Smithers N, Miller K, Solari R. Receptor mediated endocytosis
     and nuclear transport of human interleukin 1 . Biochem J 1989;264:813-22.
  6. Heguy A, Baldari C, Bush K, et al. Internalization and Nuclear
     Localization of Interleukin-1 Are Not Sufficient for Function. Cell Growth
     Different 1991;2:311-5.
I'm sure there is more, but I don't have it to hand.
Good reading.

Steve Hopkins