Immunologist seeks research position

Prasad S. Turaga turaga at THORIN.UTHSCSA.EDU
Fri Feb 10 13:31:11 EST 1995

Dear netters,
    I am an immunologist looking for a research position in a challenging
environment.  I have the training in cellular and molecular immunology,
immunochemistry, diagnostic assay and vaccine development,
immunopathology.  I am interested in positions which can best utilize my
expertise and at the same time my research interests are towards
inflammation/immunity, antibody isotype regulation, diagnostic assay
development, cytokines, vaccines.  I am enclosing my resume herewith and
please feel free to contact me should you be interested in my expertise.
Sincerely,
Prasad Turaga

Prasad S. D. Turaga, Ph.D.
Department of Microbiology
U. T. Health Science Center
San Antonio, TX - 78284
(210) 567-3963  (work)
(210) 341-8987 (home)
e mail: turaga at thorin.uthscsa.edu

Personal: Permanent Resident of USA, married, willing to relocate

Education: 1989  Ph. D.  Microbiology.  Oregon State University,
  Corvallis, OR - 97331
  1982  M. Pharm.  Andhra University, Waltair, India
  1979  B. Pharm.  Kakatiya University, Warangal, India

Research/Professional Experience:
 Trained in cellular immunology, molecular immunology,
 immunochemistry and host-pathogen interactions.
Nov 1989- Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Microbiology, The University of
present  Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX - 78284

 Determined the frequency of cells expressing transcripts for
 interleukins and immunoglobulins using in situ hybridization
 methodology.  Developed assays (ELISA and bioassay) to estimate
 the levels of different interleukins in T cell lines generated from
 mice infected with cestode parasite.  Performed studies involving
 fractionation of B cells depending on density and size
 (elutriation) and characterized their phenotype using FACS.
 Functional studies were done on such cells for the expression of
 germline transcripts for different immunoglobulins.  Developed
 hamster anti-mouse monoclonal antibodies against T cells in pursuit
 of novel markers.  Estimating frequencies of cells expressing
 germline gamma1 transcripts from FACS sorted B cell populations
 utilizing RT-PCR technique is currently underway.

Apr 84-89 Graduate Research Assistant, Dept. of Microbiology, Oregon
  State University, Corvallis, OR - 97331

 Performed physical and functional characterization of soluble
 antigen derived from a bacterial pathogen.  Developed sensitive
 diagnostic assays for the disease (ELISA and Western Blot) using
 the soluble antigen as the marker.  Characterized the protease
 activity associated with the bacterial antigen and its role in
 biological activity.  Developed assay system to demonstrate for the
 first time in salmonids, antigen:antibody complexes in infected
 animals, both in serum and in tissues (immunohistochemistry).
 Developed a vaccine candidate with soluble antigen coupled to
 different adjuvants via chemical coupling methods.  Developed
 assays (chemiluminescence) to assess the phagocytic capacity of
 cells from animals.

Professional Affiliations:

 American Association of Immunologists
 American Association for the Advancement of Science
 Sigma Xi