Peptide Solubility

gheavner at NETAXS.COM gheavner at NETAXS.COM
Sun Feb 12 19:05:44 EST 1995

You wrote:

Help! I am performing MHC/peptide binding assays by FACS but
having
terrible problems with peptide insolubility following HPLC
purification
(elutes @ 30% acetonitrile) and freeze-drying (sequence
biotin-GVEGSLIVEKIMQSS).
 I have tried dissolving in PBS, DMSO,and acetonitrile. Initial

dissolving is in
Guanadinium prior to HPLC, but this doesn't agree with cell
culture (20h incubation
with EBVs). Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Jane.

p.s. a similar peptide biotin-GLEPGVVAEKVRNLS is no bother at
all. Ho hum.

******

We synthesize, purify and assay about 1000 peptides/year.  The
solubility senario you describe is nothing unusual.  Peptides
can be as insoluble in aqueous systems as any other organic
compounds.  You might expect that the presence of charged
residues would confer solubility, but this is not always the
case,  Our experience is that solubility is as much a factor of

sequence as composition.  Scrambling the same sequence to
create a "control" peptide can give a compound of drastically
different solubility.  Under such circumstances, you have to
question if such scrambled sequences are good choices for
negative controls.  The addition of prosthetic groups such as
biotin, dansyl, etc. can also have significant but
unpredictable effects on solubility.  We have used several
approaches to dissolving sparingly soluble peptides.  One that
you may try is to prepare a saturated solution of the peptide
in 25-50% aqueous DMSO and cautiously dilute with your assay
buffer.  You should also run a DMSO blank in your cell culture
to determine compatability.  Dilute buffers such as 25 mM
acetate or bicarbonate also can be used, with subsequent
dilution with assay medium.  More concentrated buffers do not
appear to work as well.

George A. Heavner
Senior Director, Peptide R&D
Centocor, Inc.