Billions of viruses and new CD4+ cells

John Cherwonogrodzky jcherwon at dres.dnd.ca
Mon Feb 13 17:45:10 EST 1995

Dear Colleagues:
     I'm a bacteriologist and so this whole topic is out of my field. I may
not be understanding the question correctly, but with regards to declining
lymphocyte populations, isn't all that is needed is a lack of
synthesis or replacement? Even if the cells were healthy and the natural
order took place (e.g. turnover, cell death, burn-out) without replacement
eventually there is a decline.
     There are some blood diseases where blood cell synthesis is shut-down and
populations eventually decline. Some years ago I recall that there are some
hormones released from the hypothalamus during deep sleep that are responsible
for blood synthesis regulation. If HIV affected the hypothalamus, which in
turn affected hormonal or cytokine regulation, which in turn shut-down
lymphocyte synthesis, would one see the noted effects?...John