1 mab - 2 different proteins?

Marc Savard af423 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Tue Feb 14 09:23:25 EST 1995

In a previous posting, Dirk Mielenz (fn162 at fim.uni-erlangen.de) writes:
> Hi all,
> has anyone ever heard of a monoclonal antibody recognizing
> two completely different and unrelated proteins?
> I don't think that the posibility of one certain epitope
> consisting of 4-6 amino acids (perhaps additionally N-
> or O-glycosylated) occuring in two different proteins
> is that low. If one looks at possible permutations for
> a row of 4 to 6 amino acids out of 20, the number
> should be relatively low compared to the number of
> existing proteins. I've been thinking about that problem
> because it might be that we have such a mAb
> in our lab.I'd be very glad if anyone has literature hints.
> Thanks in advance,
> Dirk

It is not sufficient to have an identical row of amino acids.
You also need the same conformation, i.e. the same 3-D shape.
But it is probably still possible.
Marc

--
Marc Savard                freenet: af423
Woodlawn, Ontario          Compuserve:72002,1073