Antibodies wanted: Sarcoplasmic Reticulum

Dick Sjolund r-sjolund at uiowa.edu
Fri Feb 17 16:27:47 EST 1995

I am investigating the properties of a membrane system (the sieve element
reticulum, SER) in the food-conducting cells of higher plants, the phloem
sieve elements. The phloem SER membranes bear some similarity to the
sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) of muscle cells.  Previously we demonstrated
that our plant cell cultures contain a calsequestrin-like protein, but we
have not yet located it at the cell level.

We are seeking now collaboration with anyone who has antibodies
(polyclonal or monoclonal) against the proteins (or other antigens)
associated with the SR, especially
   Triadin
   Calsequestrin
   Ca2+ ATPase
   Ryanodine receptor
   Junctional foot protein
   or any other antibodies that identify dyads or SR.

In addition, antibodies that recognize other calcium-binding ER proteins
such as Calreticulin are of interest.

We have a new Leitz DMRBE microscope and a Photometrics cooled CCD camera
with which we can image (computerized) our phloem cells at high
resolution.  We seek to test the possibility that the SER of phloem cells
can be labeled by antibodies against animal ER/SR proteins.  All
collaborations will be acknowledged and we are willing to pay the shipping
charges for antibodies.

Please respond by eMail to:
   r-sjolund at uiowa.edu
               or send mail to:
Prof. Richard Sjolund
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Room 312 Chemistry Building
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  USA 52242            Many Thanks to anyone
                                    who responds
Phone 319: 335-1324
FAX 319:335-3620                                Dick Sjolund