HIV and TCell Numbers/Memory

Ken Frauwirth BioKen frauwirt at notmendel.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Feb 21 00:38:31 EST 1995

In article <ralph.1143705994A at news.arizona.edu>,
Ralph M Bernstein <ralph at ccit.arizona.edu> wrote:
>Hi all,
>I have a question for those thymic-t cell people out there that is actually
>related to the recent t-cell number/ HIV questions posted.

                   <snip>

>question: where the hell are those tcell being made?  everyone knows that
>aafter or at puberty the thymus involudes-we are left with a very poor
>education system.

As far as I know, *nobody* has the definitive answer to this question -
clearly T cells are produced in adults, even in the absence of a thymus.  On
hypothesis that I have heard is that the secondary immune organs (spleen and
lymph nodes) take over for T cell development and selection.  Unfortunately (?)
most T cell development studies are done in mouse, and the mouse thymus does
not involute, so it is not possible to address this problem in the mouse
system (and thymectomized mice do not regenerate T cells).

BioKen
--
Ken Frauwirth (MiSTie #33025)       _           _
frauwirt at mendel.berkeley.edu       |_) *    |/ (_ |\ |