HIV and TCell Numbers/Memory

Jorg Kirberg kirberg at bii.ch
Thu Feb 23 03:07:38 EST 1995

<Peritt_d at a1.mscf.upenn.edu> writes:
><snip>
> Regardless
> of which population was transferred the phenotype was always that of a memory
> cell (Bell and Sparshott expts notwithstanding, although I think that data
> comes from long-term (1-year) transfers).  This is interesting as the change
> in virgin phenotype must not be due to activation by Ag but due to expansion
                     ^^^^^^^^^^
> as part of homeostasis.

Hi Bill,
could you give any reason why the expansion must not be Ag mediated ?
The specificity of the cells is unknown, they are of naive phenotype
before transfer and gain the memory phenotype. Therefore, why shouldnt
Ag be responsible for an enormous expansion of certain cells (maybe of
limited clonal size) whereas the others just stay around, but will be
difficult to find as outcompeted in cell numbers by the expanding
ones.

jorg

Joerg Kirberg                     EMAIL: kirberg at bii.ch
Basel Institute for Immunology    FAX:   41-61-605 13 72
Grenzacherstr. 487                PHONE: 41-61-605 12 77 (lab)
Postfach
CH-4005 Basel

Switzerland